Tuesday, May 29, 2012

IGNOU MBA: 5 day crash-study-plan for MS 08 (Quantitative Analysis for Managerial Applications)

I am looking for a job and am available to start immediately. Thanks.

 
I received a request from one of the readers via e-mail :
"I am Laxmi from Hyderabad. I am about to give 2nd semester MBA exam of this year, but not aware of a single topic in MS 08 as I am from science background. I would just wanted to know, if there is anyway for you to help me out, as in on what topics to focus much  inorder to get a passing grade & how much %tage can I rely on theory? Looking forward for the reply."

This e-mail made me sit down and think about designing a 5 day crash plan for students writing the MS-08 paper. 

The plan took the following shape in final draft :

5 DAY CRASH PLAN 

FOR 

MS-08 QUANTITATIVE ANALYSIS FOR MANAGERIAL APPLICATIONS

Day 1: Revise the concepts of Mean, Mode, Median and preparation of Cumulative Frequency table. You should also learn how to plot a Histogram or a Bar graph from given data.

Day 2: Go through all the solved problems in IGNOU MS-08 course books and solve them again.

Day 3: Revise the Advanced Statistics concepts like Standard Deviation, Variance and Quartile Deviation calculation. This time you can also go through the concept of P
robability and see the solved problems on Bayes' theorem (Conditional Probability).

Day 4: Read and revise the Correlation and Regression chapter from a degree level Statistics book. Besides these topics, you can go through Normal Distribution and Z-variable based problems. I have solved a lot of them in my blog posts. 

But, you can also refer to any book on Statistics as per your comfort level. You can also go through the e-version of book 'Basic Statistics' by B.L. Agarwal.

Google Books Link: Basic Statistics: B.L. Agarwal

Also, this book from S. Chand publications may prove to be helpful too:

Day 5: Revise the concept related to basic differentiation rule. You will need it to solve Marginal Cost and Marginal Revenue based problems.

Each day's study is worth 17% (approx.) of marks in the TEE. Rest 15% of marks of the TEE are for the 'short notes' based theory question.

I hope you will find it easier to clear the MS-08 paper using this somewhat 'rigorous' plan.

You can download the plan from here too:

Do e-mail me at singhn9 att gmail dot com or post your comments on this blog.

Queries, suggestions and criticism are solicited. They help me in improving the quality of the blog and make it more useful for readers.

Wishing for your glorious career,
N. Singh

20 comments:

Anthony said...

Thanks for such a wonderful plan..

N Singh said...

Most welcome Mr. Anthony.
Please spread the good word around you so that more people can benefit from this plan.
You may also download and share the '5-day crash plan for MS-08' PDF file on social networks like FB, Twitter for benefit of students with due reference to my blog post.
Regards,
N. Singh

Sasikumar. G said...

I am going to follow the plan this time. Let me hope for the best.

N Singh said...

Dear Sasikumar. G,
Do let me know if my plan helped you. Feel free to submit criticisms and comments. They will help me in improving the quality of my blog spots.
Regards,
N. Singh

papiya said...

Dear Sir,

I have analysed previous year questions of IGNOU and got unable to myself to prepare a short plan to crack the exam of MS-08 and your plan gave me a guidance in such a situation please also provide us solution of june 2012 quetions. thank you very much for your support.

papiya

N Singh said...

Dear Papiya,

Please post the link for June 2012 MS-08 question paper and I will try to help you out with the solutions.

This will be helpful for other readers also.

Regards,
N. Singh

Anonymous said...

wow..feeling some relief now... let me start prep as per ur plan.. mi xms r on dec.. hope i can pre miself betr...

N Singh said...

Yes, do try out the plan and let me know if it proved helpful to you 'anonymous'.

Jaswanth Singh G said...

Hi Naval,
Do you any kind of formula list. please help me

N Singh said...

Hi Jaswant,

I have no such formula list.
But, practicing the problems will make you familiar with most of the formulas used in solving MS-08 numerical.

Regards,
N. Singh

Ajay Jaiswal said...

Pl. suggest me a link for downloading the MS08 book as I am in overseas now and not carrying my books with me, certainly your 5 days crash course will help me, as last time I could prepare something out of that at my own, As I am a non-mathematics background person. I have cleared my all subjects except MS08 & MS09, for which I am appearing in Dec’12.

Unknown said...

Pl. suggest me a link for downloading the MS08 book as I am in overseas now and not carrying my books with me, certainly your 5 days crash course will help me, as last time I could prepare something out of that at my own, As I am a non-mathematics background person. I have cleared my all subjects except MS08 & MS09, for which I am appearing in Dec’12.

N Singh said...

You can find the complete MS-08 study material here. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17260907/MS-08.pdf

Unknown said...

Hats off to you Naval........ Such a wonderful man you are. Helping students by all possible way you can, without any remunaration. God bless you........

N Singh said...

Thanks for the good words, Dinesh.
The success of my blog readers is my remuneration.

Regards,
N. Singh

Unknown said...

Pls help for ms08 hypothesis

Unknown said...

SIR , I AM FROM THE ARMY AND AM STRUGGLING TO COMPLETE MS 8 FOR THE PAST 15 YEARS. ALL MY OTHER COURSES INCLUDING PROJECT WORK ARE OVER . I HAVE BEEN TRYING MY BEST TO COMPLETE THE COURSE BUT IN VAIN . I HAVE ATTENDED THE CONTACT CLASSES , TOOK TUTIONS BUT IT HAS BEEN OF NO USE. CAN YOU SUGGEST A BETTER WAY TO PREPARE FOR THE PAPER MS 8. I HAVE BEEN SEEING THAT NONE OF THE QUESTIONS MAX ARE REPEATED IN THE NEXT EXAM SCHEDULE AND ALL ARE NEW QUESTIONS . PLEASE ADVISE WHAT TO DO . I AM 50 YEARS OF AGE AND AM FROM ARTS BACKGROUND. GOT B GRADE IN THE ASSIGNMENTS. REGARDS , MURALI , HYDERABAD . MY MAIL ID IS captmul@gmail.com

Unknown said...

A firm is manufacturing two brands, A and B, of battery cells. It claims that the average life of brand A cells is more than that of brand B cells by 100

hrs, the variances of the two brands being the same. To maintain this standard, two independent samples of 12 cells of each brand are selected on the 20th of every month and a t value of the difference of sample means computed. The firm is satisfied with its claim if the computed t value falls between ±t0.025. A sample of 12 cells of brand A gives a mean life of 1200 hrs and variance of 49 hrs, and that of 12 cells of brand B gives a mean life of 1095 hrs and variance of 64 hrs. Comment on the outcome of the sample results

Mob In said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mob In said...

Sir, my MS-08 exam is on 9th Dec.
Could u.., please help us to provide any previous year solved question papers..
9496819899

IGNOU MS 08 JUNE 2019 QUESTION PAPER SOLVED

 View my profile here: https://app.box.com/s/c8lohf3rrb03jicrtfclf8bmm8scbjhc  Hello participants, Quantitative Analysis for Managerial App...